Look at the right bottom corner of my new book’s cover.
Florabunda is wearing a sundress that matches the eighteen inch doll’s dress. Here is a close-up of the two dolls.
The pattern on Florabunda’s dress is scaled to match her smaller size. The smaller size print was not available at a fabric shop, so it was printed with a computer printer on printable fabric. I do not have the skills to create this interesting fabric on my own. I had my husband’s help and we found that the project took more effort than we expected. The first step was to scan the original fabric.
Then we picked out a rectangle of fabric that included the complete design without any repetition.
My husband used a photo-processing program to straighten the design so that it would match the straight of grain when it was printed. He also used the program to crop the scan, leaving only one complete design.
While he was still in the program, he shrank the design and then repeated it until the now smaller design would cover a sheet of printable fabric.
The colors on the first printed sheet did not match the original.
We went back to the photo-processing program and worked on making the colors match. We printed several paper samples before using another sheet of printable fabric.
The computer printed fabric is a little more difficult to sew on than regular fabric. It is slightly thicker and does not drape as well. It took some effort but, I was happy with the little dress when I had finished it.